Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Job Woes

As some of you know, S was laid off from his job late last year and he's been looking for a job since then. S is in the finance industry and as I mentioned before it is a great industry when you are up, but can be very volatile if you are down. He's been working really hard looking for something in the past 8 months and he's been close in getting an offer a few times.

In the last 3 months, his old boss at Ungrateful Company (sorry this is what I choose to call his old company) was fired. Shortly after this happened, people from his old company called to see how he is doing (other than his boss, everyone loved him at this company) and to see if he is interested in coming back. Of course S welcomed the idea and this started the process. He flew to NYC and talked to a bunch of people blah...blah...blah... The job sounded really interesting--it is a higher profile job than his old job here in Chicago and this job will be in NYC. A few weeks later (actually, the same day that we got the positive beta) he received an offer. The offer was not what we wanted, which we expected since we figured we would have to go thru some negotiations. To make a long story short, they were offering him the same $$ that he made here(or possibly less depending on his bonus), but only this time the job is in NYC. Now we all know that the cost of living in NYC is a lot more than Chicago, so we were a little offended by that. In addition, S wanted a 2 year guarantee on salary and bonus( in his industry asking for a guarantee is a norm). We especially wanted the guarantee after what happened with him with this company late last year. We didn't want to be in the same boat, S looking for a job a year or so from now.

So after many negotiations, Ungrateful Company came back with a little more money but no guarantees. Again, base on experience, we figured that the guarantee was essential with this company. To make a long story short, they couldn't meet what we wanted and as of right now S is drafting a letter to decline the offer.

I am at a lost, I feel so bad for S. There are times that I wished they never contacted him about potentially going back--he was starting to forget and move on from what happened. But this experience pulled him back. He is so frustrated and depress and he feels like his career is over and I don't know how to help him. I feel so sad seeing him this way and it just breaks my heart. Everyday, I pray that today will be a better day for him, that maybe today we will get a job offer or a job interview.

So, for now, S will continue to plug along, hoping that sometime soon he will find a job that he loves. But for now, I feel that this experience is robbing us from being completely happy about our p. It is sad to say that being unemployed and being p is not the best combination.

11 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

I hope S finds something he likes!

June 15, 2006 11:36 AM  
Blogger Krista said...

That sucks. It is harder to move on when you feel like you've been screwed by the same people twice. I hope however, that the pregnancy will bring him such joy that he will be in a better place. I also hope the right job comes along sooner rather than later.

June 15, 2006 11:49 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Howie had been looking for a job for a year and there weren't any bites until May. It's awful how hard it is to find a job. I hope that things start looking up for S in the job department pretty soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

June 15, 2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

Praying that he finds something better soon!

June 15, 2006 12:53 PM  
Blogger Mellie said...

I'm sorry, Momo. I know from experience that watching your husband become more and more depressed because of his job situation is so difficult. You want to do SOMETHING, but are rather helpless. And it sucks that the stress of dealing with Ungrateful Company and unemployment will dampen the joy of your pregnancy.

Hopefully he'll get a better offer soon and this will all be in the past.

June 15, 2006 2:58 PM  
Blogger songbird36 said...

I'm sorry to hear about your hubby's job search woes. I'm not sure what area of finance he is looking in, but I have a lead that he is welcome to follow up on. (I work for a company that deals in sell-side financial analysis and we have several openings in Chicago.) If you e-mail me, I'll give you the details. (Of course, I'll be REALLY embarrassed if the crappy company he used to work for turns out to be my company....)
songbird2025@sbcglobal.net

Oh, and congrats on the pregnancy and awesome beta numbers.

June 15, 2006 3:21 PM  
Blogger Family Ties said...

I hope that S can get a job that he enjoys!

Enjoy this "p" time girlie!

June 16, 2006 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband is also in the finance industry and I know how turbulent that can be. As difficult as it is to decline an offer, it soudns like he made a good decision. You need to have some kind of guarantee to give some piece of mind, especially if it means moving your whole life to a new (and very expensive) city. Good luck and I hope that something comes up soon for him.

June 16, 2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

I will be thinking and praying for you both.

June 16, 2006 12:42 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am sorry that you are going through this. I hope that S. finds something soon. Hugs!

June 16, 2006 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Momo, I am so happy to read that all is well with your pregnancy, phew! My husband has also been looking for work for many, many months and I know how stressful this is for both parties. It's like you want to make it all better, but there's only so much you can do. I hope you both can still enjoy the pregnancy and be excited for the future, despite all the stress. Hang in there!

June 19, 2006 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home