Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Whole New Ballgame

It is confirmed, beta is negative, aunt flo visited with full force yesterday.

I am trying to process what just happened and what is about to happen...IVF. I cried a lot for different reasons the past two days...sadness, disappointment, fear...etc. I am afraid that IVF is the last stop, if this doesn't work for us, then what?

So I am scheduled for a baseline tomorrow morning then I start bcp. I meet with Dr. K (our RE) on Thursday to talk about the protocol for the IVF cycle in May. S will go in for a blood test the same day, which I know he will just be thrilled about. Then on Friday I go in for my saline test(SSH), which this is the first time I've heard of this test. According to favorite nurse, the saline test checks the uterine cavity. Oh joy!

So there it is...we are on our way to IVF kingdom. I am scared and I tell S this everyday. I think that this is different from all the other treatments, because the embryos to me represents life, therefore it will feel like I am a little pregnant right after the transfer. I think the failure of success will be a lot more devastating, and I can't even start to imagine that.

The last couple of days, I've been putting together a list of questions to ask Dr. K for our meeting next Thursday. I wanted to post my list and I was hoping that all you wonderful women out there would help me and add any additional questions that you think I need to ask prior to our meeting:
  1. What are the possible reasons that the IUIs failed?
  2. What is a good number of follicles produce for an IVF?
  3. What % of fertilization do you want to see? Half of the eggs retrieved?
  4. When do you decide to do ICSI?
  5. Day 3 or 5 transfer? Which is better?
  6. What are the different grade levels of eggs?
  7. How much bed rest is required?
  8. If I don't get pregnant with this cycle, when can we try again?
  9. Is IVF the same as clomid or IUI, does the success rate plateaus after x amount of attempts?

These are my questions so far...any suggestions additions will be greatly appreciated.

6 Comments:

Blogger Thalia said...

I'm so sorry that this cycle didn't work for you. That's really sad.

Please don't be too scared about IVF. It is a lot worse in anticipation than it is in reality - you will be able to do this. As with IUI, there is a cumulative probability that you will get pregnant which you hit after about three cycles - although of course this doesn't mean that you should stop at 3 if you don't want to - plenty of bloggers have got pregnant after multiple cycles (not that I hope you have to go that far!)

Re questions, I suggest you visit cass's blog and look up a post called something like: questions to ask your RE - I think she has it highlighted. Her blog is called 'many miles to go' and she's on the pregnant list at my blog. She compiled a list and got lots of comments about it so it's a really valuable post.

Keep asking the questions and asking for what you need.

April 07, 2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger Chee Chee said...

I am really sorry that your IUIs have been unsuccessful. I remember when I had my lap and the Gyn told me that due to the severity of my endo, IVF was our only shot. We'd tried one IUI previously. It was so difficult to hear b/c I too felt like IVF was the end of the road. I now look at it as our best chance, instead of our last chance. Our clinic's success rate in my age range and cause of infertility is close to 40%. (RE suggested an 80% chance of success after 4 tries). So I am optimistic about that IVF (we start stims in the next few days), will be successful.

During our first IVF consult, I asked about risks to the baby - including low birth rates, premature birth. I also asked about risks to me, including OHSS, bleeding, infections, etc. I also asked about risk of miscarriage, especially b/c of my endo. I asked about acupuncture, chinese herbs, foods to avoid etc.

During our most recent IVF consult, I asked about the Clomid IVF featured in the Wall Street Journal a few weeks back. The article advocated an approach to IVF whereby instead of using injectibles, Clomid is used. It stated that fewer, better quality eggs are retrieved. My clinic does not do this.

Some of the answers that I got were that they wanted between 10-20 eggs and expected 12 to be mature. We have a slight morphology problem, so they will ICSI 6 of the eggs. All total my RE told us they are hoping 5-6 will fertilize and they transfer 2. My RE didn't really buy into the changes in diet or the alternate remedies.

Take care. So far, the injections aren't bad at all. You'll be fine

April 07, 2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger beagle said...

I am sorry that you are experiencing the pain of another failed cycle.

We'll all be here as you find you way through this maze!

April 10, 2006 4:44 PM  
Blogger Mellie said...

Momo -

I know this is easy for me to say - but don't be scared. You can handle IVF - whether it succeeds or not.

As far as questions, my assvice is, since you're unexplained like I was, have your husband visit a urologist for a thorough checking out if he hasn't gone already. My husband didn't go until after we got a 0% fertilization rate (since his samples by WHO parameters were perfect) and only now are we finding some possible reasons for our infertility.

April 10, 2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am sorry that your cycle didn't work.

IVF can be scary. I am just starting my first IVF cycle and I am terrified of so many things.

It sounds like you have a good list of questions for your next visit to your RE. Good luck with everything!

April 10, 2006 8:20 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm so sorry that your IUI cycle didn't work. The questions you have so far are great, and it looks like the other commenters have provided you with some additional resources that may be helpful.

Also, thanks so much for commenting on my blog. Your mom's b-day story is pretty funny...thanks for sharing! If you don't mind, I'd like to include you on the list of blogs I read. I just got caught up with your blog and hope that you find this community as wonderful and supportive as I have.

April 10, 2006 10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home