Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Monday, July 31, 2006

After a long week of waiting...

We finally got the results of our first trimester screening. Everything looks good...our chances of down syndrome went from 1 in 200 to 1 in 3,900 and for trisomy 18 our chances went from 1 in 750 to 1 in 10,000--I will take those odds. At this point, S and I decided not to do any additional testing. We don't want to take any chances of a miscarriage and we can live with our test results. Surprising, I was worried about getting the results, but not psychotic about it, which was very unlike me. I guess deep down inside I didn't want to believe that something could be wrong with this baby.

Other than the test results, it's been pretty quite. I am starting to show....no surprise there and everyone we've shared the news with have been really happy and excited for us. It is really nice to get this kind of attention for once. I guess I've always imagined it and at one point almost gave up on it.

Okay--I do have to vent about one thing. I think people who don't give up their seats to pregnant people or people w/children in a public transportation is rude!! I know rude is a harsh word, but people when you see a pregnant woman or children on the train/bus, get a clue!! The worst thing is that they know that they should do something, instead, they look away and they pretend that they don't see you! I always gave up my seat and it used to surprise me if I am sitting next to a man and he lets me give up my seat and he continues to read the paper!!! Now that I am in that situation, I realized how seldom people will offer you a seat.

Sorry, if I haven't been posting comments on your blog lately, I've been so busy at work and by the time I get home all I want to do is sleep. I just want to let you know that I am thinking about you guys and I am continuing to read your blogs.

16 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

Great to hear about the test results. Glad everything is going ok and you are enjoying your pregnancy.

August 01, 2006 12:09 AM  
Blogger electriclady said...

Awesome test results. What a relief!

and I agree re: people's rudeness. I've seen people totally ignore gigantically pregnant women, women with infants strapped to their fronts and giant backpacks strapped to their backs, old ladies who can barely stand up, etc. I'm not showing yet, and my husband says I should just say to people, "I'm pregnant, can I please sit down?" but I don't have the rocks to do that.

August 01, 2006 9:34 AM  
Blogger soralis said...

I am glad the test results went well.

Take care and enjoy!

Yes I agree with you some people are just plain RUDE!

August 01, 2006 10:55 AM  
Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

YAY on the test results. I'm sure that is a relief.

Thanks for updating us!

August 01, 2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

This is all just absolutely wonderful news!!! I'm so happy for you!

August 01, 2006 3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such good news - and I hope the rest of the pregnancy is just as nice and uneventful, in a GOOD way!!

August 01, 2006 6:03 PM  
Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I am so glad that your test results came back okay, and that you are enjoying your pregnancy.

I agree that it is rude that people don't give up their seats to pregnant women, parents with children, and the elderly on public transportation. I see it all the time. It's sad that people are so inconsiderate of others.

August 01, 2006 7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that everything is going well for you!! I know what you mean about the giving up the seats thing. That sucks.

August 02, 2006 11:11 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Wonderful test results! It must be so reassuring to know that everything continues to progress smoothly!

I, too, have always been appalled by how rude people can be on buses and subways. I haven't been on a bus in a while, but the next time I'm on it and no one gives up their seat, I think I'm going to stick my big ol' belly right in the face of one of those rude passengers. Let's see how easy it is to ignore me when my belly button is poking their face!

August 03, 2006 1:48 PM  
Blogger Mellie said...

So glad to hear of your test results. Great news! Glad all is well there.

And I hear you about people being rude on public transportation. I have this fantasy of walking around with premade stickers that I could stick on to people's back that say things like "I was rude, and didn't let people off the train before pushing my way on" or for you "I purposely pretended to be asleep when I saw the pregnant lady get on the train so I wouldn't have to give up my seat."

August 03, 2006 5:00 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

Congrats on the great news, and thanks for keeping us updated!

August 03, 2006 5:34 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

That's wonderful that everything went well with the test results. I'm also glad to hear that everything is going well. I feel the same way when I get home from work, all I want to do is sleep.

August 04, 2006 10:34 AM  
Blogger Sarah and Tim said...

Hooray for good test results. I'm with you on people being rude. Everyone has become so self-absorbed!

August 04, 2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

I saw your comment on Thalias PG after IF post. I wanted to let you know that even if I don't comment as much, I do still stop by to check on you. And I'm glad your test results were positive.

I'm also really glad you are enjoying your pregnancy. That's one of my bigger fears, that IF will have robbed me of my ability to enjoy pregnancy. So it's very nice to see that doesn't have to happen.

August 04, 2006 8:34 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Uh, I just reread my comment. I meant that "positive" in the good odds sense.

August 04, 2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger beagle said...

So glad that the screening results are good news!

Manners do seem to be in short supply all around.

August 09, 2006 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home