Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Have a Beer and Rub Olive Oil

So that was the doctor's orders. First from Dr. Shut Eyes, when I went in for my 6 weeks visit, I told her that I am not producing enough breast milk for B(short for Benjamin) and her prescription was for me to drink beer. I've heard this from my MIL before--I guess she did this when she was breast feeding S and his sister. I was a little shocked and I asked Dr. Shut Eyes if this was okay for the baby--and she said that I am only having 1 beer at a time and not 20 beers! So, I did have about 2 bottles of beer the last week, the first bottle, I only drank half a bottle and started feeling light headed. I guess this happens if you haven't had any alcohol in about a year! I am happy to say that the days that I did drink alcohol, my milk supply increased! The feeding is getting better, I am still pumping and feeding. I am pumping about 3 to 4 ounces per pumping--which is just enough per feeding for B. I am not sure what I will do once he needs more than this--I hope the milk supply will increase. Oh, and she also told me to take Fenugreek--and I've been taking this too. Amy from Tales of the Lazy Ovaries suggested this too!

Update on the rash and B's condition--the pediatrician suggested that we rub olive oil to help the dry skin-I thought olive oil is just for cooking...but guess what ladies, it works well for dry skin! I was very pleased. I think B thinks it's food, because he tries to lick every time I put it on. He is doing really well, the rash is almost gone and he is changing everyday and it is just amazing to watch!!

So, I officially go back to work on the 23rd of March--but as we all know we are moving to NY so that is not going to happen. I still need to tell my boss--which I am not looking forward in doing. Ironically, I found out 2 weeks ago that I got promoted--can you believe that?? Now that I am quitting, I get promoted. Oh well, I just keep telling myself that if we weren't moving, would I really want to go back to work? Probably not...or if I did, I would probably want to do it on a part time basis...which is not an option for my position.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Krista said...

I wonder if a cocktail would work as well as a beer. I hate beer, but I am really missing the occasional cocktail!

It sucks to get a promotion as you have to tell your boss you are not coming back. But as you said, you probably wouldn't want to go back to work at this point anyway. The US really needs to revisit it's maternity leave, it really doesn't seem like enough time for Mom or baby.

Hope the move to NY goes very smoothly.

February 23, 2007 10:54 AM  
Blogger ewe are here said...

The beer probably works because it contains grewer's yeast. A lot of breastfeeding mommies in the UK are urged to take brewer's yeast tablets to keep up their milk supplies.

February 23, 2007 6:54 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

I LOVE that beer is helping you out. That is awesome!

Olive oil is a multi-functional product... Derm's BFF told me that it makes a good lubricant as well:-) hehehehe

February 24, 2007 12:32 PM  
Blogger Watson said...

Hey congrats on things getting better.

I love that olive oil works!

(And my German friend who had a baby recently swears by really dark, rich beer and said it helped her milk supply, too!)

Good luck dealing with the job stuff and the upcoming move, keep us posted, k??

xoxo

February 28, 2007 5:27 PM  
Blogger x said...

My mom told me a story that mortified me...the nurses had the same beer theory when I was born and she was given FOUR beers in the hospital (in one day) to help her milk come in. No wonder I can't stand beer to this day. I guess they don't actually keep beer at the hospitals now, can you imagine the liablity?

Best of luck with the move.

March 06, 2007 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home