Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Sunday, February 11, 2007

One month visit

Last Thursday I took my son to his one month visit. He is doing well overall. He's gained 2 pounds since birth--he is now 7 lbs 15 oz and 2 inches longer (20 1/2 inches). According to Dr. P(the pediatrician) he is doing really well and gaining weight really well. Considering my breastfeeding struggles this is really good news.

Speaking of breastfeeding...I've decided to pump and feed. This was a really hard decision for me to make, but I had to do this to figure out if I really need to give him supplement of formula. It turns out that I do. He can eat about 4 oz per feeding and I can only pump about 2 1/2 oz per feeding. These last couple of days was better, I am now up to 3 to 3 1/2 oz per feeding. Although I miss the contact with my baby, I am at peace with this decision. I want to make sure that I am doing the best for my baby and it seems like this is the best compromise.

Here is the downside...Benjamin developed a really bad rash(looks like eczema) and baby acne all over his face. Dr. P advised us to us a special cream for his face...well this turned out to be a bad move. He ended up really red and his eyes got swollen!! This prompted us to return to the doctor's office the next day! I felt so horribly. Dr. P is not sure what is causing the rash and we are trying a few new things this weekend. She thinks that the baby might have a bad reaction to fabric softener so we are not to use this anymore in our laundry. She also advised us to get a humidifier--she thinks this might help since his skin was so dry. In addition, he might be allergic to protein from the formula...but again it is hard to tell. She wants me to continue giving him the same formula this weekend and if his condition doesn't improve in the next couple of days, we are suppose to switch to this special formula that doesn't have the protein. I broke down when she told me this. Not only am I inadequate to produce enough milk for my him, now the formula that I am giving him might be causing all of his skin problems!!! I have no idea what to do anymore--I need to do what is best for my baby...I thought supplementing with formula will make him happy--he looks happy and satisfied, but now we have these new issues to deal with. Dr. P doesn't want me to switch over to the special formula just yet, because we will never know if the "regular' formula is what is really causing the rash. She said to continue with what I am doing, stop the cream and see if there is any improvements.

So here we are at 5 weeks and 4 days and still struggling. His conditions improved a little bit this weekend, but still not a 100% gone--I guess all I can hope for is that it continues.

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I'm sorry that Benjamin has a rash. That's frustrating not knowing why he has it. I hope that he feels better soon. Aislinn had a small rash on her chin and cheeks but it turned out to just be from us wiping milk off her face with a dry burp cloth rather than a wet cloth. We put some vaseline on it and it cleared up within a few days, but I was so worried when I first saw it.

I'm pumping about 3 oz. per feeding. My breast feeding consultant told me to take Blessed Thistle, Mother's Milk Tea, Goat's Rue, and Fenugreek to help produce more milk. You can get them separately or together in one pill in a health food store. Give that a try. Technically that should be enough milk for Aislinn right now but she always seems hungry after breastfeeding so I end up giving her another ounce of formula. Good luck with everything!

February 11, 2007 7:39 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

Good for you for coming to peace with a decision that I know must have been very hard. What's important is what's best for Benjamin and I know that that will always be your number 1 consideration. I hope the rash is because of the fabric softener and not because of the formula but I have known many babies be switched to non-protein because of allergies.

February 12, 2007 8:42 AM  
Blogger queen said...

Hang in there! You're doing your best and working with the info you have: that means you're doing great!

February 13, 2007 12:49 AM  
Blogger Watson said...

I wish I had some experience with this so I could give you advice, but alas I got nothin'!

But I'm thinking of you and hoping he feels better (and you too!) soon.

Much love!

February 13, 2007 6:54 PM  
Blogger MsPrufrock said...

Your scenario is very much like mine. My daughter was born at 36w1d in July, weighing 5lbs 15ozs. I had immense trouble breastfeeding, and by the time she was a couple of weeks old I gave up on breastfeeding thanks to low supply and latch issues.

I pumped exclusively for awhile without supplementing, but as soon as her appetite increased, I had to supplement. I did everything I could to increase my supply, to no avail. I was chained to the pump every few hours in attempt to get enough breastmilk, and it never happened.

I'm pleased to hear that you are ok with the decision you've made, as you should be. Read my archives sometime (July-Sept) to see how I feel on the subject. I had (have?) a lot of anger regarding pressure on women to breastfeed, even if they have issues preventing them from doing so. You are obviously doing the right thing, since your son is gaining weight beautifully.

If you do ever feel like it's getting you down, or you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

February 14, 2007 3:28 PM  
Blogger Jody said...

Making the decisions about breastfeeding, pumping, and formula is never easy. I'm glad you have peace with yours.

One way to help increase supply (because a pump will almost always stimulate less milk production than a baby, especially a first baby in a PCOS situation -- I know from experience!) is to nap with your baby. The oxytocin bumps because of the sleeping proximity, and you may be able to pump more after that.

Congratulations on your new baby!

February 27, 2007 9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home