Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ending an 8 Year Relationship

I don't even know where to start with this post. As most of you already know, I am being let go from my job at the end of this month. The past couple of weeks I've been trying to work with my company about certain items that I think I am entitled to. I haven't blog about this because it is a very upsetting subject for me. Today was the icing on the cake.

Let me tell you the guys the scenario--I will try to make it short. We moved out east in June of last year. At that point I asked my said company if I can transfer to the NYC office since I wanted to keep working. They told me that we might be able to work something out. I took a 2 month leave of absence to move my family and in August I went back to work with the initial agreement of a 3 month employment. During that 3 months I was extended until March and then until June. Throughout that time, my boss was trying to find help me get a more permanent position. In April of this month, I was told that my employment was going to end at the end of June.

I was told earlier that I am not eligible for a severance package since I was the one who asked to be transferred to NYC and they were trying to accommodate me. Fine..I don't agree with this but I will not fight it. S was more upset than I was-I told S I didn't want to burn any bridges since I've worked for this company for 8 years and I am hoping that maybe somewhere down the line I can do some contract work with them(which will probably never happen at this point, but I really don't care anymore). In the meantime, I wanted to talk to them about continuing my health insurance-due to my pregnancy and we already fulfilled all the deductible this year. It will be very costly to transfer mid year to S's insurance since we will have to start all over again. In addition, I wanted to make sure that I can collect unemployment insurance since I am not resigning and I am being laid off I felt that I deserve this benefit. I figured I will get some resistance on the medical insurance but I shouldn't get any resistance on the unemployment benefit since it really will not cost the company any money with this. This is a deduction out of my own paycheck that I paid monthly.

So this is when things start to get ugly. When I asked about the health insurance I was told that I can't stay on since I am not on the payroll--if I was on severance then this is a non-issue. I was upset about this but I got over it. It is not the end of the world, we have S's insurance. On the unemployment benefit, my boss informed me that this was a "slum dunk" since I was not quiting and she talked to the head of HR and they said it should be okay. I was okay with this--at least I am getting unemployment--which was my right since I paid into the system.

Yesterday, I emailed HR to get some guidance on how to apply for unemployment. I wasn't sure which state to apply to-I live in one state, work in another state and my co is based in a different state. She informed me that I will probably not be eligible for unemployment since in my record states that it is a voluntary resignation. Remember my boss said this was a "slum dunk" so I emailed her to clarify what was going on. She said she will get back to me. I also needed a letter to give to S's employer about my termination-since it is not an enrollment period for them for health insurance. I received an email from a different HR lady informing me that my letter is in the mail, but it is very vague--and again reiterated that in my file is says that I am voluntarily resigning.I was very upset with this and I emailed my boss and told her that I appreciated everything she's done for me but this is not something I can accept since it is not right. I never gave them a resignation, instead I was told that my last day of employment is at the end of this month. In addition, this might cause some issues in transferring health insurance since I have a pre-existing condition.

To make a long long story not so long...I received an email today and my boss stated that the reason it says voluntary is because my employment was always temporary and there was never a position in NY. I can file for unemployment and it is up to the state if I am eligible for one or not. In addition, since I already transitioned most of my project-I can take the rest of the month off if I wish.

In one email I saw my 8 loyal years with a company down the drain. Oh and I was told in thru email that today was my last day at my job! I wanted to do handle this in the most civilized way. But now they are forcing me to take some legal actions--it is just not about me anymore, it is about my family. What erks me about the entire situation is the unemployment benefits--it is not costing them a single penny!!! If I was not pregnant this will be a non-issues since I can go interview for a job, but in my current state I am out of the market until the end of the year. Who in their right mind will hire a woman who is 6 months pregnant??? And we are still waiting on word about the health insurance with S's company-their HR department is checking this for us. We have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow-I will keep you guys posted. Right now I am full of anger and bitterness towards a company that I worked my behind off for 8 years.

7 Comments:

Blogger Josée Martens said...

Wow. What a bunch of buttheads. It just doesn't make sense. I hope you have a good case. good luck tomorrow.

June 18, 2008 11:21 PM  
Blogger JewishMama said...

After 8 years, they treat you like that? Your story is truly terrible. Maybe just the threat of legal action will get them to reconsider the umemployment insu etc. I really hope they stop being such scumbags and give you what you are entiltled to.

June 19, 2008 1:17 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Good luck! Ridiculous that you have to go through this.

June 19, 2008 8:39 AM  
Blogger electriclady said...

That is TERRIBLE--and also incredibly stupid of them, given that you're pregnant and probably have a good case for litigation. I hope the threat of legal action makes them do the right thing.

(PS Hope B is better!)

June 19, 2008 10:07 AM  
Blogger Caba said...

This just does not sound right to me. Regardless of whether or not there was a position open in NY, they allowed you to transfer there, and paid you after the move. You would have continued to work there, but they let you go. This kinda crap makes me SO mad. My brother is fighting for his unemployment right now because he was "let go" but they are claiming he resigned.

I really hope everything works out for you! Good luck!

June 20, 2008 7:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had to delurk...What about COBRA you might have had to pay higher premiums but that almost have to offer you that wether you "resign" or your are "terminated". See this web site http://cobrainsurance.com/COBRA_Law.htm. I think you have grounds for some legal action

June 24, 2008 4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been a lurker for a while . . . delurking to say I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to you. Do you think them ending your employment has anything to do with your pregnancy? It sounds highly suspicious to me. If you have any evidence that this might be the case, I hope you shared it with your attorney. You may be able to get a good settlement. With respect to the personal piece, though, I know how hard it is to feel like the work you've done is unappreciated. It sucks. Do take good care of yourself and try to enjoy your time off as much as possible.

June 25, 2008 1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home