Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Monday, March 10, 2008

An unexpected trip

Yesterday started fantastic. We decided to take B to the Children's Museum and we all had a great time. He crawled all over the place and played with puzzles, stackables and puppets. He tried to befriend some other babies..but we know that it is pretty hard to be really "friends" at his age. After the musuem we went out to lunch and he was flirting with a teenager! It was so cute...B is such a flirt- it is so funny to watch him! We went home put him down for a nap..he took a 2 hour nap--nice!! After his nap we played a little bit and decided to go out for pizza for dinner(with my P, I have no energy to make dinner and clean up lately..so we do a lot of take out and eating out!!). Dinner was good, we saw our neighboors there so we chatted a little bit. It took him a while to eat, but once he realized that it was pizza in front of him, he went for it. After dinner, we went home, I gave him a bath, and started the bedtime routine. But I think with the time change, he just wasn't ready for a nap yet, so he started crying and screaming in his room. I decided to go back and get him and let him play for a little bit...and this is when the trouble started.

I took him to the living room where S was. S was working on his computer sitting on the couch. I sat on the ottoman and I was trying to calm B down from his crying and just cuddling him. After a while he wanted to get down, so I put him down and he crawled up to his daddy. He is mesmerized with computers, cell phone--anything that he is not allowed to touch. S had the TV on and was watching 60 mi.nu.tes. I turned my back on B and I thought S was watching him. Apparently S was watching the TV--B turned around and attempted to walk towards the ottoman(he is starting to walk--he is taking 2-3 steps before he falls). He lost his balance and fell and hit his head on the ottoman!!! It was a really loud impact! He started screaming and I picked him up...then I noticed blood coming out of his eye!!! I started to panic...S ran to get towel. At this point I couldn't focus..we just went on automatic mode and put his jacket on and we were preparing to go to the ER!! At this point, I noticed that the blood wasn't coming out of his eye, but from a cut above his eye-this made me feel a little better. Thank god the ER is only a quarter mile from our house so we were there in no time. They checked us in and at this point B was calm and starting to smile and be himself again. The cut doesn't look so bad, but we wanted to get it checked out. The doctor finally saw us and he said it was a small laceration and he looked in his ear and everything looked fine. He gave us an option for a Cat-scan-he said that there is very little side effects-but it is up to us-he said B looks fine, but if we want the peace of mind we can do a scan to rule out everything. S and I talked it over and decided that it is better if we do it-to make sure that there are no neurological damages. The scan was horrilbe. They had to wrap him and secure his head and he was screaming the entire time!! He kept moving his head so it took a while to get the reading. Finally, the doctor came back and told us that everything is okay and there is nothing to worry about!! Phew! We went home and put him to bed and he seemed fine.

We were still very shaken up and mad at ourselves after B went down!! I mean this was something that we could have avoided!! I know I should stop beating myself up--especially he is a boy and this won't be the last time he will hurt himself. I don't think I will ever get used to it.

He woke up fine this morning-other than his black eye!! Poor little guy!!

5 Comments:

Blogger electriclady said...

Aw, poor B. Glad to hear he's OK. I have to tell you, when she started walking, BG fell and hit her head/face more times than I can count. My husband was in the pediatrician's office practically every week. In her first birthday photos she has two big scabs on her forehead from face-planting on the floor. (And somehow, it took us two months to figure out that we should move the coffee table into the corner of the room...)

March 10, 2008 12:00 PM  
Blogger Caba said...

I'm glad to hear he's ok. I can imagine that it was very scary, but please don't beat yourself up! We've had more bloody noses than I would like over in this house!

March 10, 2008 9:58 PM  
Blogger Josée Martens said...

Oh my goodness. What a scare! Glad you had it all checked out and little B is fine.

March 11, 2008 1:09 PM  
Blogger queen said...

Oh sorry, sweetie: what a scare! Glad everything is okay. You know babies have accidents even when you are watching them. It just happens all the time.

But everything is okay. And that is what counts!

March 12, 2008 3:35 AM  
Blogger Josée Martens said...

just checking in... shouldn't you be having another U/S soon. Hope you are well.

March 13, 2008 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home