Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Huh...how did that happen??

Well, S and I went to the u/s sound today...and we saw 4 gestational sacs and 1 heartbeat???? How did this happen???? I am just floored. I mean..they transferred 2 and how could their possibly be 4 sacs? Dr. W-the local doctor at my clinic couldn't explain it either. He said if they transferred 4 that this makes a lot of sense. He was also thinking that one might have split into triplets(holy cow) but the sacs are too far apart and they are not all the same size. He counted them as sacs but could it be a mass of fluid?? I thought I heard him say this but maybe I am making it up since that doesn't make any sense. He said, I am for sure pregnant and one of the sacs has a little flicker of a heartbeat. I am 6w1d today so they couldn't really measure the heartbeat...it was there but just not strong enough-which is normal for how where I am with this P.

As usual..I am still waiting to hear from my clinic. And based on experience from this cycle I have to call them and hound them for my results. They used to be so good about getting me my results..I am not sure if it is because I am out of state and I get lost in the shuffle. I want to know if they've seen this before.

So I guess I am P with a singleton-and the other 3 sacs-well I am not sure if it can ever be explained or what will ever happen to them.

7 Comments:

Blogger electriclady said...

Wha?!? Science is weird, man. Well, I'm happy that you've got a heartbeat...and that you're not pregnant with quadruplets!

February 19, 2008 4:55 PM  
Blogger beagle said...

Fingers crossed for one strong one!

I remember our RE explainging that being manipulated (ie pushed through a catheter etc) made the embryos more likely to spilt esp with blast transfers. So you could theoretically transfer 2 and end up with 4. Pretty damn rare though.

Keep us posted!

February 19, 2008 6:09 PM  
Blogger Caba said...

whoa!!! i had to read that like 3 times ... how the heck did 4 end up in there? and your hubbie was nervous about the possibility of twins! hehe. I'm glad though that it looks like a singleton. It's definitely the best case scenario.

When do you go back for u/s #2? Sending lots of good thoughts to you!

February 19, 2008 7:39 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

Wow, I'm with the Dunn Family, I had to read that 3 times and it still doesn't make sense. I'm interested in what your clinic has to say.

February 19, 2008 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something sort of similar happened to an on-line friend. She transferred two and at one point had 4 sacs, 2 larger w/ heartbeats and two a little smaller without. Her RE guessed that based on position, both had split, and one from each split had stopped developing a few day before the u/s. She had healthy b/g twins.

If at least one of those other sacs was an embryo that stopped developing early, that would explain the initial slow doubling time as the 2 and (and 3rd?) stopped producing Hcg.

But congrats on the heartbeat!!! So exciting.

February 19, 2008 10:39 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

I just hope everything is okay.

February 20, 2008 10:55 AM  
Blogger Josée Martens said...

Such an amazing story. I am so happy to hear that you are pregnant with confirmed heartbeat. When do you go in again?

February 20, 2008 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home