Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Airport, babies and other stuff

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. We survived the visit with the in-laws...it was actually lovely. I wasn't sure how the visit was going to go. I haven't blogged about it much, but my SIL and I are as opposite as can be! She also had a baby this year-May and she is living with her parents since they are helping her with the baby. She is a single mom and that story needs to be saved for a post in itself for a later date! Anyway, she is the type of person who likes to gives advice and who preaches. Sometimes, her advice/lecture is not appreciated by me or S! She makes you feel like a total turd when it comes to parenting. One example, right before I was going back to work from my leave of absence-she sent us a thank you card. I just found a day care for B and S and I were pretty nervous about the transition. You would think that if you are a mom/parent, you know that trying to decide the best childcare for your child is a very sensitive issue. As I mentioned, she tends to be a preacher-this is what she wrote in her card -" I decided to move to mom and dad's house--I love my daughter too much and a daycare or a nanny is just not good enough for her!" Let's just say there were some foul words that came out of my mouth after reading this card!!! Needless to say, I was very nervous about seeing her and what other stuff she will say that will offend both S and I. But to my surprise, the visit went really well. Yeah, she is a little quirky, but as long as she keeps her quirkiness with her daughter we are fine with that!

The trip itself went really well. The week before Thanksgiving we went to Chi.ca.go so I wasn't so nervous about the flight. B did really well flying. The only problem was getting through security! It was a big pain! I seriously don't think I can fly with a baby on my own....ever!!! When people see you in line with a baby..they try to avoid you! They know that it will take forever to get through that sensor stuff!!! Can you blame them? First you have to take off your shoes, coat, unload your laptop(if you have one-which we had 2 flying to Chi.ca.go!!). After you take care of yourself, you have to tend to your child, take of the coat, declare you have baby food in your bag, take him/her out of the stroller, hand him to dad or mom(god forbid you are flying alone, no one in security will take your child...instead you kindly ask the people behind you to take your baby while you fold the stroller and put it through the sensor!! And at this point you are just halfway through security. You take your baby back from the nice strangers, and you hand your boarding pass to the lady who refuses to hold your baby, you attempt to cross the security but wait you are denied entrance!! "Sorry but you have to take your babies shoes!!" Are you freakin' kidding me?? It's a ro.beez and those shoes are not even functional!!! Argh!! You take the shoes off, you hope that thing doesn't beep. You finally get clearance, only now you have to put everything back! Sigh. I am tired just writing this post!

Update on B-he is doing great! We almost have teeth! Yeah! He has 2 little ones poking from the bottom...I think it is just a matter of days before they completely pop out! He is cruising and trying to walk...but he can't really figure it out yet. He holds on to furniture and walks along them. Feeding is going well..he is getting better with eating with his hands. Most of the time we still feed him with a spoon. I really don't know how to get away from that. Sippy cup training is going poorly. I put the stopper on the sippy cup, but I worry that he is really not getting anything out of it. It just looks like he needs to work hard to get anything to drink with the stopper. If he tries the sippy cup too long, he looses interest with his bottle and ends up not drinking his milk. I take the stopper off but wonders how he will learn using the sippy cup if the stopper is off. So as you can see..sippy cup is a bit of a struggle for both of us. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how to train with a sippy cup?

Update on IVF #2
Nothing really exciting going on with this topic. We got our blood work done when we were in Chi.ca.go. Now I am back on the waiting game. I need to get an HSG test after my period starts and also start the pill. Oh fun stuff!

When S went for his blood work, he had to take B with him since I was working. I figured this was fine since it was after the morning monitoring so there won't be that many ladies at the clinic and it will minimize the chances of offending anyone. Well, it really didn't work out that way. The appointment was around lunch time. You would think that S would give him a bottle before going to the clinic...but no! S went to visit some old co-workers before the appointment...hence there was not time to give B a bottle. Instead, S gave him his bottle in the waiting room!!! Holy crap!! Of course all the nurses were goggling over him but that is not the point! I asked S how many ladies were in the waiting room with him and he said a couple! I am pretty sure they didn't appreciate this fanfare! S didn't look at it this way, to him they should take this as a good sign...a hope that treatments can work! I said good point, but I bet you they don't think of it that way.

8 Comments:

Blogger beagle said...

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. GOod Luck with IVF #2!

November 27, 2007 12:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yay for teeth!
Good Luck with IVF #2...

As for sippy cups. Try the chepie Take and Toss. They don't have the valves. They leak, a little, but the babe will get some liquid out. Kirsten was not into sippy cups until I gave her the take and toss ones. Good Luck.

November 27, 2007 12:47 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

that trip through the airport sound awful. The security people really are stupidly bloody minded, aren't they? On my last US trip I had a single, 20ml tube of hand cream in my briefcase. No other toiletries. But because it wasn't in a plastic bag they made me throw it away. The lady behind me picked it up and put it in with her toiletries instead, then gave it back to me on the other side. At the same time, no one is ever interested in my bag full of syringes. Go figure.

November 27, 2007 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. Sorry about the crappy time going through security. That sounds awful!

November 27, 2007 4:57 PM  
Blogger Caba said...

Ugh. I can't even imagine having to take the kids to an airport! Sounds like a nightmare. I'm glad you had a good turkey day, and I am so hopeful for you guys starting IVF #2! I really wish you the wonderful success that happened the first time around.

I have had a few SAHM's make comments about how they stay home because they don't want to leave the job of raising their child to someone else. It bugs me so much when people say that. It's not that I had kids to give them away to be raised, but not everyone is in a financial situation to stay home, and not everyone WANTS to. It doesn't make you a bad mom. Ugh. I don't understand why people can't see that that is insensitive!

November 27, 2007 7:46 PM  
Blogger Krista said...

Glad your visit went well. I have travelled with the baby alone and will be doing it again at Christmas (hubby comes later). It's really not THAT bad. I think people take pity on you when they see you are alone.

It is funny how you just can't win. I am considering staying at home, and everyone is giving me a hard time because I have such a good job and good income, why would I deprive my baby of the opportunities that brings!

November 27, 2007 11:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The day care is a best place where your youngster should spend the day while you work. But deciding which one is a very difficult task indeed..

November 28, 2007 6:48 AM  
Blogger kelle grogan said...

your story is very inspiring.
we are in the same situation. just finished ivf #1 and are just waiting, waiting, waiting.
did you feel like you were going to jump out of your skin???
fortunately i haven't had any friends experience this lovely bump in the road so its nice to read someones journey.
would love pick your brain sometime.
good luck!
kelle

December 03, 2007 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home